Here's a list of the music featured in this episode. Click any artist name to hear more music online:
1. Grand Strand “Cactus Blooms” (Nashville/Myrtle Beach)
2. Late Nights “Sunrise Surprise” (Columbia)
3. Run Dan Run “Lovesick Animal” (Charleston)
4. BPL “Bringin’ it back” (Boone, N.C.)
5. Sean Taylor “It’s a Party” (Orangeburg)
6. The Hufton Brothers “Poor Boy” (Wilmington)
7. Carlie Bravo “Double Dutch (jump)” (Myrtle Beach)
8. Jah Harvest “Never Enough” (Myrtle Beach)
9. Sleeping Policemen “Virginia Beach” (Myrtle Beach)
We're kicking off summer as this week's show celebrates the soltice with a number great tunes for the season.
It begins with a group named after our very own 60 mile stretch of sand, Grand Strand, featuring Myrtle Beach natives Kelley Anderson (Those Darlins) and Kain Naylor. Since shedding her "Darlin" moniker earlier this year, Anderson created a few demos filled with haunting melodies and surf guitars that eventually turned into this full-fledged band and it's first single "Cactus Blooms."
There's also a little Beach Boys-eqsue vocal harmony on a brand-new track from Columbia rock group LateNights with the acoustic, beachy "Sunrise Surprise."
But lest you think we're keeping it downtempo, there's also plenty to get the party started with tracks from Orangeburg rapper Sean Taylor, the latest release from MB's own Carlie Bravo and a great live band hip-hop track from Wilmington's BPL (Saw these guys at Hot Fish Club last weekend...great band.)
And last but not least this week are a couple of older efforts from top local acts with upcoming live shows. Listen to Jah Harvest and then go check them out at the Boathouse tonight opening for Bumpin' Uglies or listen to Sleeping Policeman who'll being playing his first show at Bey's in Columbia over the weekend.
Thanks for checking us out and please continue to help us improve by leaving feedback on what you like, what you hate or what you'd like to hear more of in a comment below or by dropping us a line. Click below to listen to this week's episode or subscribe via iTunes: