There’s nothing like a good old-fashioned celebration of Mexican Independence to get the crowds of Myrtle Beach partying like a bunch of Cancun-bound spring breakers. Luckily, being that we are a fairly accomplished beach town in our own right, there are plenty of activities to go around this Saturday.
Here’s a look at some of the best places to get your party on this Saturday, and whether you’re in it for the tunes, the tacos or the Tequila, there’s a little something for everybody:
• Where: Coastal Grande Mall Myrtle Beach
• When: Noon to 10 p.m.
• Details: 843-222-4444 or http://www.abuelos.com/
This “Mexican Food Embassy” features upscale ethnic cuisine and a party atmosphere on Cinco De Mayo as it opens it outdoor patio to a bevy of live musicians, drink Stevie Mac (Covers) from Noon to 3 p.m., Matt Parker of local group Pysch Ward (Rock/Pop) from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and the Clay Crotts Duo (Country) from 7 to 10 p.m.
Blessing of the Inlet
• When: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Where: Belin Methodist Church, U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet
• Details: 843-651-5099 or www.blessingoftheinlet.com
Feel like a local with this annual right of spring, a day filled with worship, food, fun & fellowship. Highlighted by a “Blessing” ceremony that celebrates the area’s Christian heritage, the event generates funds for missions, charities & non-profit organizations.
Borgata Cinco De Mayo
• When: 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
• Where: Borgata Bar, 813 Surfside Dr., Surfside Beach
• Details: On Facebook
Borgata is hosting another bangin’ lineup of music brought to you by DJ Wonka, Fudda, and the crew from LowCountry Dubstep. Electronic fans and folks looking to dance the night away can experience live mixing on 1's and 2's with no admission and can expect to hear Dubstep, Hip-Hop, Reggae, House and more. There will be a power hour from 11 p.m. to Midnight with 3$ top self liqours, free pool and beer pong. Show starts at 10 and goes till 2!! Join us in celebration at borgatas on Sat. may 5th!
Broadway at the Beach
• Where: 1320 Celebrity Circle, Myrtle Beach
• When: Noon to 2 a.m.
• Details: (843) 444-8032 or http://fantasticclubs.com
This all day street party hosted by Revolutions Nightclub takes place on the big stage at the Celebrity Square club area of Broadway at the Beach and features music by DJ Alex A from 2 to 6 p.m., the Austin-Mowery Band from 6 to 10 p.m., and Mystic Vibrations from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. There will be beer tubs and Jell-o girls in the main square and food available throughout the day. All clubs will be open with drink specials and more.
• Where: Fiesta del Burro Loco, 960 Frontage Road W.
• When: 8 a.m. (5K race); 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. (music)
• Details: www.facebook.com/burromon or (843) 626-1756
The grandaddy of local Cinco celebrations, Burrofest has long been one of the area's biggest Cinco parties and this year the restaurant is celebrating it’s 15th anniversary of the event with even more fun. This year’s event will kick off at 8 a.m. with the 5K Stache Dash, a trail run filled with the finest mustaches and sombreros on the Grand Strand. After the race, complimentray beverages will be provided to race participants and the live music will begin at 1 p.m. and go all day with The Sick Stooges (Classic Rock), Sushi For Breakfast (Rock/Hip-Hop/Pop), No Limit Band (Variety) and The Mullets (Classic Rock).
• Where: 2934 U.S. 501 E, Myrtle Beach
• When: 6-10 p.m.
• Details: (843) 347-6984 or http://www.elpatiomexrest.com/
This local favorite known for its fresh ingredients and quaint atmosphere, will have food specials throughout the day on Cinco De Mayo and live music from 6-10 p.m. with local rock band Tripod, one of the area’s most versatile musical acts.
Key West Music & Wine Fest
• When: Noon to 5 p.m.
• Where: La Belle Amie Vineyard, 1120 St. Joseph Road, Little River, SC
• Details: (843) 399-WINE or www.labelleamie.com
Give your Cinco De Mayo and island vibe at this festival celebrating great grapes and laid-back tunes. There will be live entertainment by Latitude, a Jimmy Buffett Tribute Band and also The Jamaican Jerks and vineyard tours will be offered at 2:30 p.m. The event also features wine tastings, Hunt's Lexington Style Cooking & Smokin' Pitt BBQ and more. Remember, bring a lawn chair, a good friend or two, and enjoy the company, the music, the wine, and the beauty of the vineyard. Admission is $8 (Under 18 Free, over 80 free) Bring two canned/dry good items for area food bank and receive $3 off admission.
• When: 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.
• Where: 1160 Farrow Parkway, The Market Common, Myrtle Beach
• Details: 843-839-9770 or www.nachohippo.com
One of the area’s hippest Mexican Fusion eateries, Nacho Hippo specializes in concoctions such as nachos with Maine Lobster, shrimp and roasted vegetables and Tacos with creative names such as Love You Long Time, Thai One On and Austin Powers. On Cinco De Mayo, they’ll offer $3 Fresh Squeezed Margaritas, $2 Bud Light Limes $3 Well Liquor drinks and live music from Jukebox Elly (Noon to 3 p.m.), Nick Andolora (3:30 to 6:30 p.m.) and Jimmy Mowery (7 p.m. to 11 p.m.).
Oceanfront Bar & Grill
• When: 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
• Where: 110 9th Ave. N., Myrtle Beach
• Details: (843) 448-5142 or www.oceanfrontgrill.com
Spend your Cinco De Mayo Oceanfront at this downtown spot located on the corner of 9th Avenue North at the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk. OFBG will host a Cinco De Mayo party with live music by up-and-coming touring act — and local favorite — American Aquarium (Alt Country/ Americana) and drink and food specials throughout the night. Enjoy great views and rock the night away as you celebrate Mexican Independence in a very “American” way.
Rivertown Music & Arts Festival
• Where: Downtown Conway, 20 minutes west of the beach on U.S. 501
• When: May 5, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Details: conwayalive.com
Although a classic car show, arts and crafts and food will help draw thousands of people to the streets of Downtown Conway for Cinco De Mayo, music is expected to be the big draw for Conway Downtown Alive’s 26th annual Music and Art festival. Entertainment will begin at noon with Jaylynn, a jazz and blues guitarist, taking the stage on Laurel Street between Second and Third avenues. She’ll be followed by classic rockers Dyno Daddy. At 4 p.m. Atlanta-based up and comers Kick the Robot will perform, followed by SxSE favorite the Randall Bramblett Band at 5:30 p.m. Rounding out the night will be Southern Blue from 7:30 p.m.- 9 p.m. with a mix of Blues, Country and Rock.
Senor Frog’s Cinco De Mayo
• Where: Senor Frog’s, Celebrity Square, Broadway at the Beach
• When: 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
• Details: www.senorfrogsmyrtlebeach.com
When it says “Taylor J. Burt Presents” out front, you know it will be one of the beach’s biggest parties, especially when the TJB family and DJ Christain Slick team up with the world-renown Mexican party spot Senor Frogs for Cinco De Mayo. Dance and party the night away and keep it going all night with After Hours at Shamrock’s.
Zulu Red Solo Cup Party
• When: 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
• Where: Zulu Lounge & Bistro, Galleria Shopping Center on Restaurant Row
• Details: 843.213.1730 or zulutapaslounge.com
Come celebrate Cinco De Mayo at Zulu Lounge & Bistro this year with the 2nd annual Red Solo Cup Cinco Party. Everyone buys their red solo cup at the bar for $5, which includes your first drink choice of domestic beer or house liquor. Then enjoy $2 refills all night! There will be prize giveaways, games and a DJ.
Here’s some of the other places around town featuring live music events this Saturday for Cinco De Mayo:
• Berni’s 501, 2246 E. U.S. 501, Conway: Know Good; Punk/Rock, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
• Bubba’s Love Shak, Murrells Inlet Marshwalk: Jukebox Elly; Acoustic/Rock, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
• Buzz's Roost, 717 Front St., Georgetown: SHAYWISE Duo; Country/Rock, 8 p.m. to Midnight
• Creek Ratz, Murrells Inlet Marshwalk: Clay Crotts Duo; Country, 2 to 6 p.m.
• Causeway Grill, Garden City Beach: The Necessary Band; Blues/Rock/Classic Rock, 8:15 p.m. to 12:15 a.m.
• Hard Rock Cafe, Celebrity Square, Broadway at the Beach: Below The Bassline; Reggae/Rock, 10 p.m.
• House of Blues, Barefoot Landing: Downstroke; Rock/Covers, 9 p.m. on The Deck
• Jimmigan’s End Zone, Little River: That’s Cool and Stuff; Funk/Rock/Blues, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
• Neil and Pam's, Surfside Beach: Act 2; Covers/Rock, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
• Pawleys Island Tavern, Pawleys Island: Ten Toes Up; Rock/Blues, 9 p.m.
• Plyler Park, Downtown Myrtle Beach: Humble Vibez; Reggae/Island, 4 to 6 p.m.
• The Sound Hole, 1004 Chester St., Myrtle Beach: Rabble N Rebellion (Hard Rock), Circles In Autumn (Prog. Metal), Shed The Burden (Prog. Rock/Metal) and Scarlette’s Letter (Rock), $5 Cover; 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
• Spud’s Waterfront, Murrells Inlet: Who Shot JR?; Variety/Covers, 8 p.m.
• Wet Willie’s, Broadway at the Beach: Jebb Mac; Country/Hip-Hop, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
• Wahoo’s, Murrells Inlet Marshwalk: Smokey Breeze; Rock/Blues, 8 p.m. to Midnight