St. Patrick’s Day is nearly here and whether you’re a “wear a bit o’ green” observer or a full-on “green beer ‘til I’m seeing Leprechuans” reveler, there’s no doubting that there’s tons to do along the Grand Strand for the holiday.
With this year’s big day falling on a Saturday, local businesses, bands and bars are pulling out all the stops to plan some of the biggest parties of the season to celebrate the luck of the Irish.
Here’s a look at a list of some of the best celebrations and live music events happening in our area this Saturday:
Backstage Anniversary Patty’s Party
• When: 6 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Backstage Cafe, 816 Front St., Georgetown
• Cost: Free
Georgetown Cafe and music venue Backstage Cafe will celebrate its first year in business Saturday with a 1-year anniversary party for St. Patrick’s Day.
Musical performances will include a number of Backstage regulars and other special guests including by Blind Owl, Dustin Ashenfelder, Steve-O Brand, Phil Whitaker, John Lammonds, and Act II finishing out the night. Check out Backstage Cafe on Facebook or 843-546-9400 for details.
Broadway at the Beach St. Patrick’s Day Celebration
• When: All day Saturday
• Where: Broadway at the Beach (Tilted Kilt, Liberty, Celebrity Square)
• Cost: Free
Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery, the clubs in Celebrity Square and Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery will all have St. Patrick's Day festivities that will include food specials and live entertainment and many of the merchants at Broadway will also be participating in holiday festivities.
The inaugural St. Patrick's Day 5K Kilt Run will begin at 8 a.m. at and a post race party with Irish breakfast buffet will take place at Tilted Kilt from 9 a.m. to 2 a.m., followed by an all day celebration featuring green beer, green beads, a special Hooley menu. Live bands include Wide Open, Stealing Anger, Adi Nelson and Ten Toes Up.
Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery opens at 11 a.m. with Irish Stout beer on Tap and food specials, plus music from Tru Sol from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
The clubs at Celebrity Square will kick off a celebration at noon, featuring a live DJ in the Square, then at 5 p.m. live music by Paul Grimshaw, followed by Celtic band, Barley Juice at 7 p.m. In addition Wet Willie's will feature Jimmy Mowery from 9 pm. to 1 a.m. and Original Shucker's Raw Bar will feature Jebb Mac performing live.
More information at www.BroadwayattheBeach.com, or call 1-800-386-4662.
Gathering of the Green
• When: 5 p.m Saturday
• Where: Conway Farmer’s Market
• Cost: Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door.
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in Downtown Conway with the 2nd Annual Gathering of the Green featuring a St. Patty’s costume contest, a taste of Conway, silent auction, fire breathers, stilt walkers, and of course green beer.
Live music will be provided by The Spots and Dyno Daddy, a recently-formed Garage/Classic Rock band featuring veteran players Dan Ennis, Arne Flaten, Rob Miller, Steve Nagle and Tim Underwood.
To purchase tickets online just click here or contact Conway Downtown Alive at 843-248-6260.
• When: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Valor Park at The Market Common
• Cost: Admission is free and tickets are $1 with food and drink costing one to four tickets.
Thrown by Festival Promotions, this event follows in the mold of the popular Myrtle Beach
Beerfest events with live music by Painted Man, plenty of beer vendors (including 15-20 authentic Irish beers) and food. Visit myrtlebeachbeerfest.com for more info.
Molly Darcy’s On The Beach
• Where: Molly Darcy’s, 1701S Ocean Blvd., North Myrtle Beach
• When: Open 11 a.m. to midnight Saturday
• Cost: No cover
This Traditional Irish Pub & Grill offers not only a great view of the beach from its oceanfront patio — Saturday’s weather is expected to be in the 70s — but also some hardcore holiday revelry with Bagpipers, Irish Music, Stepdancers, DJ Johnny O Davito from Meath, and of course heaping helpings of Corned beef and Cabbage.
Nosh St. Pat’s Day double feature
• Where: Nosh, The Hammock Shops, 10880 Ocean Hwy, Pawleys Island
• When: 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday
• Cost: No cover
Longtime local favorites The Blue Dogs from Charleston, SC, will be performing in The Hammock Shops courtyard on Saturday for a St Patrick's Day party from 5-8 p.m. followed by Smokehouse Brown Blues Band on the deck at Nosh beginning at 9 p.m. Visit http://www.noshpi.com for more details.
Ocean Boulevard’s St. Patrick’s Day Celebration
• When: Noon to 11 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Between 8th and 9th avenues north on Ocean Boulevard
• Cost: Free. Food and drink tickets for $1 each.
O’Keefe’s St. Patrick’s Day Party
• Where: O’Keefes Irish Pub, 834 Inlet Square Dr, Murrells Inlet.
• When: 9 a.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday
• Cost: No Cover
What’s dubbed as “The largest St. Patrick’s Day Party in Murrells Inlet” gets the festivities started early with Kegs and Eggs from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. There will be Irish music all day with performances by Shamrocks In The Wind bagpiers from 3-6 p.m. and Tim Bogart from 7-10 p.m. O’Keefe’s famous Corned Beef and Cabbage will be served all day and things tend to get packed so shuttle service will be provided for those who can’t find a parking space. Visit http://www.okeefespub.net/ or call 843-651-7211 for details.
Old Bull & Bush St. Pat’s Happy Hour
• Where: Old Bull and Bush Pub - 4700 17 Bypass Myrtle Beach, SC
• When: 4-7 p.m. Saturday
• Cost: No cover
This English Pub will go Irish for a a special Happy Hour with live music from local duo Seaford & King. In addition they’ll have great specials all day on traditional English Pub fare, $3 Guiness pints and a blend of Irish music. Call (843) 831-0505 for more info.
• Where: Mama Rue’s Blues Garden, 9737 Ocean Hwy., Pawleys Island
• When: Doors open at 4 p.m Saturday, Music starts around 7 p.m.
• Cost: No cover
The Jamaican cusine of this unique restaurant and music venue will cross paths with some Irish revelry, as Mama Rue’s serves up Eric’s Jerk Cornbeef, Red Stripes and their special house Rum concoction called Howlin’ Wolf.
Music will be provided by local trio Skitch which plays a stunning mix of Classic Rock, Reggae, Blues and Jams throughout the night on the outdoor stage (weather permitting). See you dere, mon!
Visit them on Facebook or call 843-235-3853 for more info.
St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Festival
• When: Parade at 9 a.m. Festival 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Main Street, North Myrtle Beach
• Cost: Free
This long-running north end event is in its 24th year and will feature a large parade, which will be followed by a street festival with vendors, a kids zone, and two stages of live entertainment.
Music will be spread across the Community Stage ( 248 Main St.) and Horseshoe Stage 911 S. Ocean Blvd.) with performances from NY Shields Pipes and Drums (11 a.m., noon & 2 p.m.), Wake District Pipes and Drums (11 a.m. & noon), Ceol na Gael (1 p.m.) and Barleyjuice (1:15 & 2:45 p.m.).
There will also be dance troupes, arts groups, the Palmetto Roller Derby Girls, awards and a Shepard's Pie Eating Contest(1:30 p.m.). Visit stpatnmb.com for more info.
St. Patty’s Day Show at Sound Hole
• When: Doors at 8 p.m. Show starts at 9 p.m.
• Where: The Sound Hole, 1004 Chester St., Myrtle Beach
• Cost: $5 cover
This venue for underground music will hope to capitalize on an already rowdy downtown crowd by amping things up a notch with a Rock, Reggae and Metal show featuring four awesome bands for St. Patrick’s Day. The green beer will flow freely as local groups Darling Waste, Rabble N Rebellion and and Sharklegs, as well as Fort Mill, SC’s Josh Carter Band perform. Check out full details on Facebook.
More places to party
• Blue Marlin, 614 Atlantic Ave., Garden City Beach. St. Patrick’s Day with Coco Loco Party Band (Variety). 8 p.m. to midnight. 843-357-7220.
• Bourbon Street Bar & Grill, 5307 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, Looking For Lucky (St. Pat’s Day Band). 9 p.m.
• Finn McCool’s, 501 Lake Arrowhead Road, Myrtle Beach. Live entertainment and authentic Irish cuisine.http://www.finnmccoolsmb.com/ or (843) 449-7616.
• Flynn’s Irish Tavern, 421 Main St. North Myrtle Beach. St. Patrick’s Day Party with Tom Hughes (Irish). (843) 249-6533 or http://www.flynnstavern.com/
• Handley’s Pub & Grub, 3873 Renee Dr., Myrtle Beach. St. Pat’s Day featruing Sushi For Breakfast (Rock/Hip-Hop Covers). 9 p.m. 843-903-4904 or http://www.handleyspub.com/
• Hot Fish Club, 4911 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet, Paulie O’Grimshaw Band (Covers/Variety) 9 p.m. http://www.hotfishclub.com or 843.357.9175
• Jimmagan's Pub, 2551 U.S. 17, Little River. Get Stoogefied for St. Patrick’s Day with Sick Stooges (Classic Rock/Covers). 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday Night.
• Pat & Mike’s Irish Pub, 1359 Highway 17, Little River. Live music and festivities. (843) 249-7145
• Suck Bang Blow, U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. St. Patrick’s Day Party with Mafia (Rock/Covers). 9 p.m. (843) 651-7960 or http://www.suckbangblow.com/
• Shamrock’s, 2510 North Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach. Authetic Irish Food & Drink Specials all day, DJ and After Hours party at night. (843) 448-2532.