We're back for another big week here at ListenUp and after missing last Monday's edition, Music Monday is packed with a even more of stories, sites and songs to help you get you started this week:
1. House of Blues roundup
The spring/summer lineup has been shaping up at the area's most active venue and announcements have been coming with such frequency that it's been tough to get them all in. Here's a look at some of the shows announced in the past few weeks that we might have missed:
- Coming up next Tuesday, March 22 the venue will host a dance party Xandali presents:The Road To Spring Break Ultra Party w/ DJ P-FUNK and CHDR SELEKT with live art by Brian Stacy & Zakk Duff. Tickets are $8 or you can get in free if you are a service industry employee.
- Former Fugees frontwoman Ms. Lauryn Hill will perform Saturday, March 26 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $50-55 and are on sale now.
- Myrtle Beach Rocks! Da Mic will take place April 1 at 8:30 p.m. featuring HNL, WAVE, Profit, B-1NZ, Lil Drama & Two of a Kind. Tickets are $5 and are on sale now at thebox office or get yours free from one of the artists.
- Country crooner Easton Corbin will perform June 16 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $22 in advance, $24.50 day of show and go on sale Saturday.
- Ziggly Marley will perform May 5 at 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $28.50 in advance, $30.50 day of show and go on sale Saturday.
Hyper-hip music, film and interactive media conference South by Southwest jumps into full swing this week in Austin, Texas. While it's OK to be jealous if you're not there in person, you can still get the SxSW experience in multiple places online this week. Here's some SxSW-related links:
- Official Site: SxSW.com
- Paste Magazine: 20 SxSW Bands You May Not Know (But Should)
- iTunes: FREE SxSW sampler with 22 tracks from industry favorites like Bright Eyes, Lucinda Williams, G. Love and Talib Kweli to breakout artists like The Civil Wars, Toro Y Moi, Foster the People and Small Black.
- SHOUTcast: Listen to SxSW radio
- USA Today: Tech Titans Crash start-ups' party at SxSW
3. Jason Isbell kicks off tour in Murrells Inlet
Speaking of SxSW, one group who will put its music on display in Austin this week is Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit who recently announced summer tour dates in support of their upcoming Lightning Rod Records release, Here We Rest (out April 12).
The singer songwirter and former Drive By Truckers member will stop in over 25 markets with his band and will kick off his tour May 12 at Dead Dog Saloon in Murrells Inlet before making stops in Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Toronto, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Seattle, and Los Angeles.
Here's a look at the group's dates in the Carolinas:
- May 12 - Dead Dog Saloon - Murrells Inlet, SC
- May 13 - The Windjammer - Isle of Palms, SC
- May 14 - Soapbox Laundro Lounge - Wilmington, NC
- May 15 - Blind Tiger - Greensboro, NC
Get a free download of Isbell's new track "Codeine" below.
4. Win a trip to London!
While the 3rd annual Hard Rock Calling Battle of the Bands wrapped up last night, local fans can still get into the action with a British Invasion party happening at Hard Rock Cafe March 31.
Starting Wednesday, WKZQ 96.1, will be offering its listeners a chance win a trip to Hard Rock Calling in London's Hyde Park this summer to see headliners Bon Jovi, Rod Stewart and many, many more top-notch artists.
From there, 40 contestants will be chosen to participate in the event at HRC. That night the 35 radio winners and five chosen from the audience at the event will all recieve keys to try and open a box on stage containing passes and airfare for them and a guest to go to London for the show.
In addition, live music will be provided by Beatles Tribute act and cover band contest participant The Fab 2.
5. Delta Saints "Voodoo Walk"
We always like to wrap things up with a song, and this week the track comes to us from Nashville-based blues/roots rock band Delta Saints who performed on the big stage at Ocean Boulevard's 2011 St. Patrick's Day Festival Saturday and at the Oceanfront Bar & Grill afterparty.
We're not sure when these guys may come back by the beach, but we'd suggest that you come and catch them if they do.